Our lessons have been based on a theme of Kindness - thanks to your materials - and we have had lots going on! We have had wellie walks and wellie wanging for Give Hunger the Boot and we have been raising money with lots of activities like smoothie making etc However, the best bit was the random acts of kindness by our school council Kindness Army when we went into town giving away sweets and flowers and washing cars for free!
The reaction around school has been fabulous and so has our community reaction. We have also raised lots of money for charity but, as a school we have been immensely enriched. I have included some of the highlights below and my ode to kindness for our final assembly alongside our totals raised.
Thank you so much for the support of Kindness UK - I can see this will be an annual event!
The staff said...
- I really liked the kindness attacks (we gave out sweets in classes randomly!)
- The Year 10 Music concert was great
- All round great week which really showed the kindness of all pupils and staff.
- I thought Kindness Week was absolutely brilliant! It has been one of the most enjoyable weeks I have experienced in school!
- It was a pleasure to receive my Kindness postcards from the Kindness army (who are cute beyond words!).
- The lovely messages from students and staff alike really made my day and put a huge smile on my face!
- Thank you for Kindness Week!
- My highlight was the year 8 pupils on Wednesday producing their Victoria sandwich sponges singing the Michael Jackson song "Just beat it" as they were just beating their ingredients, it was magic.
- The sheer enthusiasm of year 7 pupils
- What a fantastic idea of having the kindness postcards - I have really enjoyed the kind comments sent from pupils who have really made my week.
The students said...
- I loved making kindness cards for staff and my friends
- The best part was when my friend brought me some Haribo in!
- My highlight was people complimenting me
- The concert in A1 was fantastic
- I like Kindness lessons
- Miss Patel gave us all chocolate cupcakes!
- The best part of kindness week was no homework!
Our community said...
- You've really made my day
- We should have more of this!
- What a brilliant idea!
- Woman who said – give my sweet to that lady outside – she is lovely and really deserves some kindness. (We did and it made her day)
Other highlights were...
- The man on Westhoughton market who asked why we were giving out sweets and flowers. When we told him about Kindness week, he called everyone back to give them a free book – he wanted to pass on the kindness
- The woman in the sweet shop who did the same
Westhoughton High school...you have raised:
A total of £796.78 has been raised for Sainsbury's Hand on Heart
And £560.70 has been raised this week for year group charities giving a grand total of £1357.48 for Kindness week
A huge round of applause for WHS – a school that is Kind to others because from Sept 2013 – July 2014 you have raised a grand total for charities of £7,421.95
Kindness Week Ode
In our last week of term we saw Kindness abound
We knew we were kind – so we spread it around
There's lots we've been doing and good things to share
To show our community we really care
We set off to Sainsbury's to help others pack
We've wanged wellies for hunger out of a huge sack
We've raised money from hampers and smoothies and treats
Had a concert from Year 10 and turned up the heat
It's been a great week and we think you will find
That things are much nicer when the world's being kind!